Nootropic are often used for recreational purposes, the best example being the use of Phenibut to create an euphoric and good mood.
However, this is far from being the only use of nootropics. It is less well known, but they can help fight certain diseases. It would be a lie to say that they will easily and quickly cure heavy diseases such as Alzheimer’s, but they will help to mitigate and slow down the development and progression of several diseases, while effectively relieving symptoms.
Furthermore, for some other diseases, such as depression, they can be real alternative treatments, often less heavy and less addictive than traditional ones. They are less addictive and allow you to approach the problem in a different way. This article therefore focuses on what nootropics can do for the treatment of various diseases.
1. Alzheimer & Cognitive Decline
Alzheimer is a serious neurodegenerative disease. It has no treatment and is therefore currently incurable.
However, there are treatments that can slow the progression of this disease and relieve the symptoms. This is the case with nootropics.
The studies below show the effectiveness of certain nootropics in halting and slowing the progression of the disease and alleviating symptoms.
The best nootropics to fight against Alzheimer and general cognitive decline & dementia are :
- Alpha GPC : It helps fight against cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s disease and dementia by providing choline for cell membranes and myelin production, and thus produces acetylcholine.
- Aniracetam : At the brain level, Aniracetam aids in the production and proper balance of certain essential neurotransmitters associated with mood, memory and cognition.
- CBD oil : For it’s neuroprotective effects, anti inflammation and anti-anxiety.
- Fasoracetam : Fasoracetam can fight memory loss and prevent it.
- Magnesium citrate : Magnesiums helps with the preservation of memory and intellectual capacities.
- Memantine : Memantine may slow the progression of moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease and may help treat dementia.
- Noopept : Noopept improves memory and cognition.
- Oxiracetam : Oxiracetam improves memory and cognition, but also improves concentration, attention and reaction time. It has neuro-protective effects and positive effects on cerebral blood flow.
- Piracetam : Piracetam increases the number of acetylcholine (ACh) receptors in the brain and improves energy metabolism. It also has antioxidant properties.
- Sulbutiamin : Sulbutiamin increases memory and cognition.
Many nootropes play a strong role on brain receptors and neurotransmitters. They have a different mechanism of action, and can therefore help to treat depression via several different angles of attack. Let’s see which nootropicss can help fight depression, and how they can do it.
- Aniracetam : Aniracetam binds to AMPA receptors, which amplifies their response to glutamate activation and releases norepinephrine. It also slows the desensitization of AMPA receptors. These effects result in the release of anti-depression hormones (noradenaline), and also the effectiveness of the receptors’ response to neurotransmitters.
- Bromantane : It increases dopamine and serotonin in the brain, and thus alertness and wakefulness. It is mistakenly thought that only serotonin plays a role in depression. Yet dopamine has a very important role in this disease, and is responsible for motivation, desire and willingness to do things.
- Coluracetam: Coluracetam is a very good treatment against depression for people resistant to conventional treatments. It improves the absorption of choline in nerve cells and may therefore increase the amount of acetylcholine in the brain. This would allow a restoration of nerve cell damage and NMDA receptor damage. It is therefore a good choice for treating depression, especially if conventional serotonin treatments are not effective for you.
- Fasoracetam : Abnormal levels of GABA have been associated with depression. Fasoracetam plays a role in the latter and helps to regulate them (it increases their number), just as it has a role on the release of acetylcholine in the cortex (like its neighbor above, coluracetam). Fasoracetam is also believed to activate certain types of glutamate receptors.
- CBD oil : It relieves stress and depression by modulating the action of neurotransmitters. In addition, it is a powerful anti-inflammatory. It has strong neuroprotective effects.
- Magnesium : Magnesium is a valuable ally in improving sleep and general health. It is not a miracle cure, but a deficiency in this one will never go in the right direction for depression and sleep.
- Nefiracetam : Studies have shown that Nefiracetam is effective in treating depression –> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18451188/
- Tribulus Terrestris : Through its effect on hormones (it acts as a testosterone booster for men), Tribulus Terrestris can help, in addition to other treatments / nootropicss, to relieve depression.
- Uridine : Uridine is known to stimulate the production and release of essential neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine and dopamine. It therefore has a strong potential to combat depression.
3. Fatigue & Headaches
Fatigue and headaches are conditions that can seriously affect people’s lives, especially when they are chronic. It is impossible to spend a normal day and do pleasant activities or work optimally when you are tired and/or with a migraine.
Treatments do exist, and nootropics can be used as a back-up or another approach to relieve symptoms.
- Bromantane : Bromantane is THE nootropic to fight neurasthenia. Neurasthenia is a disease that creates fatigue, headaches (often daily) as well as mental lassitude and insomnia (which leads to a vicious circle : bad sleep alone creates depressive symptoms, fatigue and headaches).
Bromantane effectively fights the negative symptoms and considerably improves the quality of life of people suffering from Neurasthenia.
- CBD oil : CBD oil is analgesic, anticonvulsant, anti-inflammatory, anxiolytic, antioxidant, antitumor and neuroprotective.
You now understand its potential and why it can help to relieve a lot of symptoms.
- Magnesium : Once again, a magnesium deficiency will aggravate your symptoms. It may even be the cause of your symptoms if you have a severe deficiency. On the contrary, good levels of magnesium will bring you better sleep and help relieve some symptoms.
- Memantine : Memantine, via its action on the NMDA receptors, 5-HT3 receptors, D2 receptors and nicotine receptors has a great impact on the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, fatigue and headaches. It is the only nootropic to act on NMDA receptors, making it unique and allowing a different approach.
4. ADHD, & Bipolarity disorders
ADHD and bipolarity disorders can be treated with Memantine and Uridine.
Memantine : The action of Memantine is always done via the same mechanisms of action that we saw above.
Uridine : Without it, RNA can’t work, DNA disintegrates and life ceases. But maintening protein synthesis is only a small portion of what Uridine is doing.
It has many other benefits. It is known to stimulate essential neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine and dopamine. That’s why it helps fighting agains’t those diseases and their symptoms.
5. Dementia & schizophrenia
Some nootropics can help to fight the progression of dementia and schizophrenia.
They act via the same mechanisms of action as mentioned above, i.e. the fight against cognitive decline.
We thus find Alpha GPC, Aniracetam, Coluracetam and Memantine.
6. Stroke recovery & Insomnia
to fight against insomnia and sleep, we have written a complete article that you can find by clicking here.
Regarding the recovery after a stroke : Alpha GPC, Pramiracetam and Aniracetam will help improve and accelerate the healing process, still via the mechanism of action seen above.
We hope you found this blog post useful !
Nootropics are not miracle compounds that can instantly cure serious diseases.
However, many studies have shown the positive effects they have on serious diseases. Symptoms relief, slowing of progression, even partial or total cure for certain diseases.
They help the brain to regain a balance that is sometimes lost, and will come to relieve and put back in place many disorders located in our heads.
If you have any questions or wish to obtain additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us. We’ll be glad to help some fellow biohackers !