Buy Magnesium Citrate: First of all, what is it?
Magnesium citrate is a supplement that allows a better absorption of this mineral essential to the maintenance of health. Thanks to the fabulous bioavailability of this dietary supplement, people suffering from a magnesium deficiency can fill their mineral deficiencies in a safe and effective way.
Magnesium citrate is one of the most important minerals for the body’s metabolism. (Source: Antonio Guillem: 88672687/ 123rf.com)
What is magnesium citrate?
Magnesium citrate is one of the most important minerals for the body’s metabolism. This trace element enables hundreds of chemical reactions that are essential for the proper functioning of our organs. The main processes in which magnesium is involved are summarized in the following list:
- Protein synthesis.
- Bone and teeth formation.
- Muscle contraction.
- Activation of the nervous system.
- Regulation of blood sugar levels.
- Control of heart function
- Proper hormonal function
- Stabilization of DNA
- Production of ATP (energy) through glucose metabolism
- Transport of cholesterol
- Regulation of blood pressure.
The importance of magnesium for our well-being makes it essential to have an adequate intake of this mineral. Between 310 and 420 milligrams per day are recommended for an adult.
What are the consequences of a lack of magnesium on our health?
An inadequate diet, stress and an overly demanding lifestyle can create an imbalance between our magnesium intake and our needs, leading to a deficiency in this mineral with the following consequences for our health:
- Physical fatigue.
- Mental exhaustion.
- Menstrual disorders.
- Male impotence.
- Muscle cramps.
- Increase in “bad” or LDL cholesterol.
- Appearance of sports injuries.
- Mineralization defects and joint pain.
- A fast and irregular heartbeat
- Elevated blood sugar levels.
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
In these cases, it is advisable to add a magnesium supplement to our daily routine. Magnesium citrate is a type of dietary supplement that combines magnesium and citric acid to improve the absorption and effectiveness of the supplement, making it a preferable option to other formulations such as magnesium oxide.
What factors affect magnesium absorption?
Magnesium deficiency is becoming increasingly common in our society, with unhealthy lifestyles (mainly alcohol and fast food consumption) being the main culprits. To the dismay of experts, the first magnesium supplements proved to be ineffective in solving this deficit.
The bioavailability (ability of a substance to reach effective concentrations in the blood) of these supplements has been the subject of much investigation and discussion.
Why use Magnesium Citrate?
What is the difference between magnesium citrate and other magnesium preparations?
The main difference between Magnesium Citrate and other preparations is its enhanced absorption. The bioavailability of this preparation has been shown to far exceed that of the most representative magnesium supplement (magnesium oxide).
Who are magnesium citrate supplements best suited for?
The fantastic bioavailability of magnesium citrate makes it an ideal choice for people who have tried unsuccessfully to incorporate magnesium into their diet after suffering from magnesium deficiency symptoms. If this is the case for you and you fall into one of the following groups, consider using a magnesium citrate supplement:
- Sports enthusiasts.
- Adults over the age of 40.
- People with bone or joint pain.
- People with a tendency to suffer from muscle or joint injuries.
- People who are stressed.
- People who consume alcohol or fast food in excess.
- People who are on a weight loss diet.
- People who have difficulty controlling their blood sugar levels
Magnesium Citrate: Benefits
Numerous studies have established a link between the normalization of magnesium levels in the blood and the occurrence of events favorable to cardiovascular, muscular and mental health. Thus, a magnesium citrate supplement could help improve the following aspects of our health:
- Increased muscle mass.
- Increased resistance to exercise and, consequently, healthy weight loss.
- Preservation of memory and intellectual capacities.
- Improved sleep quality.
- Relief of post-workout fatigue.
- Improved recovery from sports injuries.
- Reduction of menstrual pain.
- Improved libido.
- Normalization of sexual potency in men.
- Improved glycemic profile (blood sugar level).
- Improved lipid profile (ratio of “good” to “bad” cholesterol).
- Resistance to stress.
- Reduction of stress-induced mood swings.
- Normalization of blood pressure.
- Maintains normal heart function.
- Maintains skin and capillary health.
Magnesium Citrate: Dosage
Recommended dosage: For an adult, doses of this supplement range from 150 to 350 milligrams. It is not recommended to exceed 350 milligrams per day of magnesium citrate.
Timing of supplementation: It has been shown that magnesium citrate supplementation is most effective if the daily dose is divided into several intakes throughout the day, for example at the time of the main meals.
With food: Saturated fats and proteins appear to enhance the absorption of this mineral, so the effectiveness of magnesium citrate may increase if it is consumed with meals. However, foods high in phytates and oxalates (mainly raw vegetables and legumes) hinder the absorption of this supplement.
Finally, remember that although magnesium citrate is able to increase blood magnesium levels almost immediately (within 24 hours of supplementation), the beneficial effects of most supplements will take sixty to ninety days to appear. Be patient during this time!